Jimmy Smolev

I have known Bobby for 50 years. I got to know him well during the summer of 1960 when I was his Junior Counselor in Ranger 4 at Tamakwa. He was pudgy little guy who was a joy to 'counsel' even back then. We lost touch for 25 years, but reconnected when Igot a call to come to Detroit for Tamakwa's 50th Reunion. That trip changed my life and my family's life. Not only did I get to re-unite with the best friends I had ever had, but I now got to see Bobby (and meet Carol) as an adult.

Bobby was no longer that chubby little camper, but he had become the most extra-ordinary (and buff) man I had- and to this day-have ever met. I have gone on most of the canoe trips. Both of my daughters have spent time with Bob and Carol-either as their guests in Asheville before Jenny and I did Outward Bound, or dinner in Ann Arbor when Melanie and I had dinner with Bob and Robin when she was a Uof M freshman {Go Blue!}.

I have continued to be inspired by Bobby's life- and his life with Carol. If there is a 21st CenturyRenaissance Man, it is Bob Deutsch. He is a loving husband, father, son, brother, friend, lawyer, author, rabbi, son of Israel, tripper, singer-songwriter, and overall nurturer.

The dictionary defines the word "mensch":"someone who resembles Bobby Deutsch." I have Bobby's beautiful memorial that he wrote forour friend, Harris Cohen, "The Bowman", hanging in my room at home, and I read it whenever I need inspiration, or serenity, or perspective. I feel truly blessed that Bob Deutsch considers me his friend. I always want to be a better person because of Bobby, and Carol.

Jimmy Smolev

No comments: